Try this Chettinad Chicken Recipe direct from the kitchen of “Shavan’s”- The best Indian restaurant in Melbourne and make your loved ones lick their fingers. This recipe is the origin of Tamil Nadu, a state in South India and has spread its magic too far, definitely till Melbourne.
If you have found this dish very tasteful at Shavan’s, then this is must to try out at your own and be your own king. Flaunt your cooking skills with a hint of our help and get the pats on your back. This recipe serves 6-7 people.
- Chicken – 1 kg
- Grated coconut – 1½ cup
- Poppy seeds – 2 tsp..
- Fennel seeds(perumjeerakam) – 1 tsp..
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp..
- Cumin seeds(Jeera) – ½ tsp..
- Red chilli – 6-8..
- Cinnamon stick – 1 medium size piece..
- Cardamom – 4..
- Clove – 3..
- Star anise – ½..
- Ginger & garlic- ½ tbsp each
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Onion- 2
- Tomato – 3 medium
- Lemon – 1
- Curry leaves
Instructions for the delicious Curry paste:
- Well, from the ingredients above, can you see the ones with two dots following them? From poppy seeds to star anise. Take these ingredients in the mentioned proportion and fry them along with grated coconut in some amount of oil that suits you. Fry till the ingredients turn into majestic golden brown.
- Let it cool.
- Add ginger and garlic to the fried ingredients and grind them. DO NOT ADD WATER WHILE GRINDING.
- The ground coconut mix is now ready. Add ½ – ¾ cup of water to it and stir. A thick paste is ready.
A few more steps and your Chicken Chettinad Is ready to be served....
- Clean the chicken and chop it into medium sized pieces.
- Take a suitable amount of oil in a bottom heavy pan and heat it.
- Add the sliced onions and let them fry till they achieve a golden brown tint.
- Add the curry paste of coconut and curry leaves to it and stir well for few minutes.
- Add tomato, turmeric, chilly powder and stir well.
- Let the curry cook till the spices are cooked.
- Add the chicken pieces and salt to your taste, mix them well and cook for five minutes.
- Add lemon juice and 2 cups of water. Close the lid and cook till the chicken is ready.
And the most promising chicken recipe has formed a delicious shape. Serve the dish with wheat bread or rice. Tastes awesome with lemon rice.
Many more recipes are yet to knock at your doors. Enjoy this platter from the Shavan’s coaches and dine happily at the best Indian restaurant of Melbourne frequently to taste more of Indian food. Keep us updated with your ventures and how the dish turned out to be!